The Fundamentals of Effective Community Engagement
May 23, 2017
Over the last five years, our Independent Living Community Education Workshops have progressively built a set of skills for dealing with community outreach and education:
- In 2012, we discussed developing annual plans and telling your story clearly and concisely.
- In 2013, we explored using meetings to engage our communities in creating environments for greater understanding and investment in providing a full and independent life for all.
- In 2014, we looked at successful community outreach programs and the strategies which community leaders leverage to build them.
- In 2015, we looked at maintaining volunteers, developing a viable media presence, coalition-building, developing community organizing activities and achieving issue-related goals through consensus building.
- In 2016, we brought our focus to the State Legislature, training on how to prepare, execute and assess advocacy campaign work that advances policymaking in support of Independent Living.
We’ve covered a lot of ground! That’s why this year’s workshop is entitled Back to Basics: The Fundamentals of Effective Community Engagement.