NYAIL has sent a letter to Governor Hochul outlining budget priorities for the upcoming state budget. The letter is the annual precursor to NYAIL's Budget Disability Priority Agenda. This year's letter requests:
• Increase base funding for Independent Living Centers (ILCs) to $18 million in SFY 2023- 24 as supported by the State Education Department and Board of Regents.
• Address the home care crisis by increasing wages for home care workers to 150% of the State’s minimum wage, as outlined in the Fair Pay for Home Care Act.
• Repeal cuts to eligibility for Medicaid proposed by the Medicaid Redesign Team (MRT) II which makes it more difficult for people to receive vital community-based long-term supports and services (LTSS).
• Expand eligibility for New York’s Medicaid Buy-In program by eliminating age and asset limits to support the employment of people with disabilities.
• Increase the State’s share of funding for the Long-Term Care Ombudsman program to $15 million.
• Increase funding for Access to Home to $10 million.