August 29, 2023
DEPARTMENT Mental Health Peer Connection (MHPC) LOCATION Buffalo, N.Y.
DIRECT SUPERVISOR Director, MHPC
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION Work within the Renewal Center, serving guests of the living space in overcoming immediate, emotional crisis, of which may alternatively result in emergency room visits. SPECIFIC
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
1. To connect, engage and orient guests to the Renewal Center
2. Utilize motivational interviewing and intentional peer support in meeting the needs of the guests.
3. Introduce coping techniques which de-escalate crisis through assisting in developing Wellness Recovery Action Plan (WRAP) and/or Whole Health Action Management (WHAM) plans of intervention.
4. Assist the Qualified Health Professionals in obtaining a basic medical assessment.
5. Work with guests in preventing future crisis through referrals to agencies the guests choose.
6. Mark appropriate referrals to the Director of MHPC for long-term crisis situations, such as housing, government benefits and employment.
7. Perform light maintenance of the Renewal Center, to uphold an environment that meets the high standards of our guests.
8. Accurately document consumers’ services and required paperwork in Electronic Consumer Record (ECR) database within two (2) working days of the date of service.
9. Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
10. Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment. 11. Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING
• Within six (6) months of being hired, the candidate must be certified as a NYS Certified Peer Specialist-Provisional.
• Must have received NY Care Coordination person-centered planning training.
• Education and experience equivalent to an undergraduate degree in vocational services, disability services, business, personnel management, mental health or social service, counseling needed. High school diploma or equivalency OR Associate Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field ORBachelor’s Degree in social work, rehabilitation counseling, psychology, or related human services field
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required) High school diploma or equivalent requires four (4) years of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
Associate degree requires two (2) years of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness. Bachelor’s degree requires one (1) year of related work or volunteer experience with people with mental illness.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
• Candidate must have reliable transportation and automobile insurance, and the ability to utilize public transportation to commute to sites in all the counties WNYIL, Inc. operates.
• The applicant must be a current or former consumer of mental health services.
• Must have intermediate level of knowledge of computers including the use of Excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
• Perform in a professional, conscientious and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS WORK ENVIRONMENT Office/ Community
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB
Sitting for extended periods of time. Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds. HOURS / SHIFTS 37.5 – 40 hours per week. Sun-Thurs 3:00pm-11:00pm. Some holidays. Overtime rarely required.
Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff. Range: $35,000-$40,000 BENEFITS
Agency provided group health insurance. Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package. 403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program OTHER Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols. Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities. Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency.POSTING
Closing Date: September 7, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to: Tina Brown, CHRCO WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St. Buffalo, N.Y. 14214