Date Posted: August 29th, 2023
DEPARTMENT | Independent Living Center (ILC) |
LOCATION | Buffalo, N.Y. |
DIRECT SUPERVISOR | Director, Independent Living Services (ILS) |
GENERAL JOB DESCRIPTION |
Assist the individuals seeking eligibility for housing subsidy to transition from institutional setting to the community. Work as part of a coordinated
Independent Living service team. |
SPECIFIC DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES |
list of 13 items
1. Manage the assignments of OHS consumers for the region to Housing Specialists.
2. Ensure coordination and communication between Housing Specialists.
3. Identify housing opportunities for individuals who are in need of housing in order to leave a nursing home, as well as for those who have unstable housing
after leaving a nursing home.
4. Assist eligible Olmstead Housing Subsidy (OHS) participants through all steps necessary for enrollment, including filling out housing applications,
obtaining household goods and/or support for moving expenses, arranging unit inspections, etc.
5. Work with applicants and/or their Transition Specialist, Service Coordinator (SC), Nursing Home Discharge Planner, Care Manager (CM), natural supports,
or advocate in order to ensure that a support services plan is in place for program enrollment.
6. Conduct follow-up after subsidy is initiated, including but not limited to, verifying occupancy of unit and continued eligibility for program.
7. Work to identify landlords, public housing, and private housing in the region which may be suitable for individuals enrolled in the OHS program in the
8. Maintain list of available housing in the region, including degree of accessibility, location, proximity to services and rental costs.
9. Track and report on all activities using the New York Association on Independent Living (NYAIL) statewide project database.
10. Accurately document consumer services and required paperwork in Western New York Independent Living, Inc.’s (WNYIL’s) the Electronic Consumer Record
(ECR), within two (2) working days of the date of service.
11. Attend Agency’s in-service training and staff meetings as well as any other agency related activities as required.
12. Participate in maintaining a neat, clean and safe work environment.
13. Perform other job-related duties as assigned by the supervisor.
EDUCATION & TRAINING |
Associate Degree in Human Resources/Services or related field OR |
table with 2 columns and 13 rows
Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources/Services or related field
Professional and life experience may be considered in lieu of, in full or part of academic credentials. |
KNOWLEDGE & EXPERIENCE (if required) |
list of 2 items
• Professional experience in housing, community organizing, Independent Living, long term care, and/or disability rights strongly preferred.
• Associate degree requires two (2) years of work experience related to Human Resources/Services.
SKILLS & ABILITIES |
list of 3 items
• Must have reliable transportation and the ability to travel independently throughout Erie, Niagara, Genesee, Orleans and Wyoming Counties.
• Must have intermediate level knowledge of computers including the use of excel spreadsheets, databases, word processing and networks.
• Perform in a professional, conscientious, and efficient manner for the purpose of ensuring a better quality of life for persons with disabilities.
WORKING CONDITIONS |
WORK ENVIRONMENT | Office/ Community |
PHYSICAL DEMANDS OF THE JOB | Sitting for extended periods of time.
Occasional lifting of not more than 15 pounds. |
HOURS / SHIFTS | 37.5 – 40 hours per week. M – F 8:30 am – 5:00 pm.
Overtime rarely required. |
CLASSIFICATION | Full-time, salary, non-exempt, Professional staff.
Range: $40,000-$42,000 |
BENEFITS | Agency provided group health insurance.
Vision, dental, life, supplemental insurances available.
PTO and paid holiday package.
403(b) retirement with Agency match.
Employee Assistance Program |
OTHER | Western New York Independent Living, Inc. values our employee safety and follows all recommended NYS required Infectious Disease Prevention Protocols.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Reasonable accommodations will be made for people with disabilities.
Western New York Independent Living, Inc. is a scent-free agency. |
table with 1 columns and 2 rows
POSTING INFORMATION |
Closing Date: September 11, 2023
Cover Letter and Resume Required to:
Tina Brown, CHRCO
WNY Independent Living, Inc,
3108 Main St.
Buffalo, N.Y. 14214