Date Posted: October 31, 2023
Organization: NYAIL is a state-wide, non-profit organization, working with Independent Living Centers across the State to eliminate physical, communications, attitudinal, and other barriers for people with disabilities. NYAIL members are Independent Living Centers (ILCs), consumer controlled, cross-disability providers of advocacy, services and supports to people with disabilities.
Position: Housing Program Specialist
Duties and Responsibilities: The Housing Program Specialist will report to the Director of Housing Programs and/or designee in assisting the program to facilitate the successful transition of individuals into community settings through the Olmstead and Rapid Transition Housing Subsidy Programs. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Communicate with Housing Specialists as needed to ensure all necessary documentation is included in the database.
- Conduct ongoing outreach to Housing Specialists with upcoming expiring leases.
- Assist the Director of Housing Programs in completing necessary DOH reports, including input of documentation to the Medicaid Data Warehouse (MDW) report, maintaining updated DOH master spreadsheet, etc.
- Review all rent and security requests via program database, ensuring all necessary forms are completed and sent to designated staff.
- Forward all approved rents for final review before payment.
- Record all new rents to Excel sheet for monthly review, ensure no gaps in rent.
- Work with designated program staff to oversee Fiscal Intermediary processes, ensuring all payments are timely and accurate.
- Complete Rental Subsidy and Community Transition Services (CTS) monthly audits.
- Complete OHS and RTH file audits.
- Provide administrative support and assist with NYAIL functions as needed.
- Other duties as specified by the Director of Housing Programs or Executive Director.
- Workplace fiscal experience, preferably within a non-profit organization
- Experience transitioning individuals including familiarity with finding affordable, accessible, integrated housing and the development of individualized service plans.
- Knowledge of the state’s Medicaid program and community resources which can assist people with disabilities in living independently.
- Knowledge of state and local housing policies, practices, laws, and issues impacting seniors and people with disabilities strongly preferred.
- Fluency in Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Experience managing databases / data systems.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, communication and computer skills
- Comfort with public speaking to small groups
- Experience with the concepts of IL, consumer control, and equal rights for persons with disabilities prefered.
- Associates degree preferred, or equivalent experience preferred
- Preference will be given to individuals with personal experience with a disability
Salary and Benefits:
NYAIL offers a competitive salary and generous benefits package. The salary for this position is in the range of $45,000 per year.
Location and Travel:
This is an Albany-based position with remote work available. Regional and statewide travel required.
How to Apply:
Please send resume and cover letter to
It is the policy of the New York Association on Independent Living to afford Equal Employment Opportunity (“EEO”) to all employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, marital status, domestic violence victim status, sexual orientation, genetic predisposition or carrier status, veteran status or any other protected characteristic as established by federal and state law. NYAIL promotes a drug-free work environment and does not tolerate unlawful discrimination, harassment, or retaliation.